Sunday, January 30, 2011

Vegetable Stew

So, we like soup around here. I mean, really like it. We eat it about once a week when it's not too hot to eat it. I asked my husband if he had any requests for dinners and he promptly replied with “more soup”. I love the throw everything in a pot and let it simmer kind of dinner anyway. I made this in a dutch oven, but you could just as easily make in on the stove or in a crock pot. This vegetable stew was better than I was expecting and no one even missed the meat. I think it would be good with tomatoes or really any kind of vegetable you have lying around.


Vegetable Stew

8 cups water or chicken broth
2 chicken bullion cubes (not needed if you used broth)
1 cup split green peas
½ cup barley
¼ cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped carrots
1 medium-large chopped potato
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper

Soak the split green peas and barley in water 2 hours or overnight (do not soak in the dutch oven). Drain the water off and put all the ingredients in a 12-inch dutch oven. Use 24-28 briquettes, all on the bottom, with the lid on for 1 hour or until peas are soft. Serve and enjoy!

If you make this in a crock pot then follow the same directions and cook on high heat for 6 hours.

0 comments:

Post a Comment