Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Mint Brownies

I love traditions. They help make me feel like I'm making memories for my children that they will remember and tell their children and maybe keep some of the traditions with them that I've kept and make some of their own traditions. I think the whole making a themed treat for holidays started when I only had two kids and we would make sugar cookies because they loved to push the cookie cutters into the dough and pile the cookies with sprinkles. I still make themed sugar cookies with them (what kid doesn't like having control of frosting and sprinkle amounts?), but I have tried to make more variety. My sister is usually the one who makes these, but since we moved across several states, I will have to make them myself. These mint brownies are a perfect way to celebrate St. Patrick's Day, which we don't really celebrate other than wearing green and eating a green treat.

You could use a box mix for the bottom brownie part, but I prefer to make them from scratch.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9x13 pan with foil and lightly spray with non-stick spray

Mix the dry ingredients in one bowl and the butter, sugar, eggs, and vanilla extract in another bowl.

Dump the wet ingredients into the dry and mix just until there isn't any flour left. Some lumps are ok here.

Spread into your 9x13 pan and bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

After it has cooled, you want to make your frosting. I then stuck it in the freezer while I made the ganache so that it will be easier to spread on top of the frosting.

Mint Brownies

1 1/2 cups melted butter
3 eggs
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 TBSP vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup plus 1 TBSP cocoa powder
1/4 tsp salt

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9x13 pan with foil and lightly spray with non-stick spray.

In a medium bowl combine butter, eggs, sugar, and vanilla until well blended. In a separate medium bowl whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, and salt.

Pour the egg mixture into the flour mixture and stir just until all the flour is incorporated, making sure to scrape the sides and bottom. It's ok if there are still some lumps. You just want to make sure you don't over mix the batter.

Bake in 350 degree oven for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool completely.

Mint Cream Cheese Frosting

8 oz cream cheese, softened
4 TBSP butter, softened
2 tsp mint extract
5-6 cups powdered sugar
Green food coloring

In a mixer, combine the cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Add the mint extract and mix thoroughly. Add the powdered sugar a cup at a time until the right consistency, scraping down the sides occasionally. Add a couple drops of food coloring until desired color of green. Spread evenly over cooled brownies and put in the freezer until ganache is ready.

Ganache

3/4 cup whipping cream
1 bag semi-sweet chocolate chips

Combine the cream and chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave in 15 second increments, stirring in between until the chocolate is melted and it is smooth. Spread evenly over frosting. Let ganache set before cutting into brownies. Lift foil to remove brownies from the pan and cut into squares and enjoy!

1 comments:

Kara Henry said...

Yum. I love these. How am I not there to eat them?

Post a Comment